Tips & Info
10 AMAZING FACTS ABOUT TREES
- Trees are the longest living organism on earth and don’t die of old age, they are killed by insects, diseases or by people.
- A mature leafy tree produces oxygen for 10 people to inhale in a year. One acre of tree can remove up to 2.6 tons of carbon dioxide every year.
- An average tree absorbs approx. 2000 litres of water every year.
- Every book we read was once a tree.
- Contrary to popular perception trees receive only 10% of their nutrition from soil and 90% from air.
- Trees grow from top not from the bottom.
- There are about 20,000 tree species in the world.
- The Amazon basin has the largest area under forest – around 81.5 million acres.
- Some trees can communicate with each other. When Willows (a type of deciduous trees found primarily in moist soils) are attacked by worms and caterpillars they emit a chemical that alerts other trees in the neighbouring region. The other trees then respond by pushing more tannin in their leaves which makes them difficult to be digested by insects.
- The most massive living tree on earth is the Giant Sequoia in the Redwood Forest of California. It stands nearly 30 stories tall and 82.3 feet in circumference. Its weight is estimated at 2,756 tons.